WVU graduate students, advising staff, and junior faculty seeking to learn professional skills in leading, developing, and/or recruiting for study abroad programming.
September 1, 2023 - May 1, 2024
2023-2024 Training Cohort Size
3-5 Participants will be selected through a short application and interview process. Education Abroad will work with faculty leaders to place chaperones on Spring Break programs. Placement will be based on program need, academic fit, and professional interests.
- 1 hour per month for pre- and post-travel training arranged by OGA
- September: Orientation/Meet the staff/Study Abroad Basics
- October: P-card training, chaperone responsibilities, logistical troubleshooting
- November: Health, mental health, and safety and international risk management/ISOS
- December: Group leadership training
- January: Attend program pre-departure budget meeting with faculty for assigned program
- February: Attend program pre-departure orientation with faculty and students
- March: Spring Break Travel
- April: Program debrief meeting
- Spring Break travel with a faculty-led group, approximately 10 days, travel expenses provided.
Compensation is not provided for these activities. Participants will receive training and travel expenses for Spring Break travel in line with WVU’s Chaperone policy.
Participants should notify OGA immediately if they are unable to travel during the required Spring Break period.
Applications should consist of:
- A mission statement outlining how the program can enhance your professional goals and contribute to your role at WVU. (One Page)
- A copy of your most recent CV or resumé.
- One letter of recommendation from your direct supervisor/department chair confirming your ability to participate, but also demonstrating why you would be a good candidate. Please have this sent directly to email@example.com.